In a recent sit-down with The Atlas Society, Rep. Allen West warned that America could become “a socialist egalitarian nanny state” and that liberals view the government’s safety net as a hammock.
He also said the novel after which the D.C.-based organization is named — Ayn Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged” — belongs behind just one other book.
“I think that ‘Atlas Shrugged’ is the most widely read book second only to the Bible, which is a good thing,” West said in an interview posted yesterday to The Atlas Society’s website.
Asked if he’s ever criticized for his admiration of Ayn Rand, West replied, “I get criticized for a lot of things, but that does not bother me one bit because as they say in the military, you only take flack if you are over the target.”
And the Florida Republican’s target during this interview was, per usual, the opposing side.
“Conservatives believe that ever person who comes to America or is born here, they have a ladder that they are given as their birthright or becoming a citizen,” he said. “Sometimes you fall off of that ladder, but we believe that there is a safety net that is there, and that safety net is to catch you and get you to bounce back up and continue to climb on the ladder. That’s what conservatives believe.
“But liberals tend to believe that the safety net is a hammock, so you can stay there the rest of your life.”
Read more here.
- Allen West on Obama: ‘The Resurrection of an Imperial Presidency’ (lettingfreedomring.com)
- Allen West – Critical time for ideological debate (lettingfreedomring.com)
- Guest Blog: The Danger of A Nation of Dependents by Congressman Allen West (lettingfreedomring.com)
- Allen West condemns white liberals for chastising black conservatives (redalertpolitics.com)
- The Atlas Society Launches $1 Million Atlas Shrugged Capital Campaign and Publishes New Article Called Myth: Ayn Rand was an Elitist (prweb.com)
- Allen West: Social Security Benefits Are ‘A Form Of Modern 21st Century Slavery’ (thinkprogress.org)
- Real talk: Allen West will not be bullied, thank you very much (hotair.com)
- The Five’s Bob Beckel Goes Ballistic On Allen West: ‘Shut Up, You Blowhard!’ (mediaite.com)